Want to be part of a team that helps make a difference in its community and around the globe? Want to develop useful skills that will help in your college/professional life while still in high school? Want to meet lifelong friends? Apply for District Council!
Interact 5160 District Council (DC) is an organization of high school students across Northern California, united region-wide who provide humanitarian services, encourage high ethical standards in all vocations and help build understanding, goodwill and peace in the world.
Organizes 4+ district-wide events, in addition to smaller localized fundraisers/events
Helps foster and support local Interact Clubs within District 5160
Raises awareness and funds for global and local issues
Members of the District Council are Interactors (high school-aged students associated with a local Interact Club or Rotary Youth Program). In addition to supporting others, they too reap the benefits of being in the Rotary 5160 Family.
Benefits of being on the District Council include:
Learning what it means to be a leader
Developing practical skills that will come in handy after high school
Meeting local community and vocational leaders
Learning the power of group and personal action and the positive impact it can have
District Council Application
Positions and Requirements
- Attend all DC meetings
- Attend all DC events and activities
- Be active in discussions, share ideas, give input at DC meetings
- Assist fellow DC members with their tasks; stepping over “duty lines” when necessary
- Responsible for keeping all DC members “in line” of duties, be assertive when a DC member does not complete assigned tasks; aware of each DC position’s duties
- Form strong bonds with one another
- Alert of all district functions, check the Facebook group regularly
- Responsible for “passing on the duty;” retain any materials necessary to pass on to
future DC members during the year
- Organize four district wide events encompassing 50 Interact clubs
- Prepare and lead the monthly District Council meetings
- Maintain communication with school officers of local Interact clubs and Rotary Advisors
- Assist District Governors with any tasks that are needed to be completed
- Organize four district wide events encompassing 50 Interact clubs
- Maintain communication with school officers of local Interact clubs and Rotary Advisors
- Create meeting agendas and find meeting locations for monthly district council meetings
- Work with contracting and following up on outside resources (DJ, speakers, etc.)
- Work directly with Secretary, Activities Coordinator and Logistics
- Maintain the District Council email and materials for District Council
- Contact respective District Delegates for weekly/bi-monthly area updates and make sure it is sent to the webmaster
- Assist District Delegates with reaching club presidents
- Make sure that district delegates are hosting monthly area meetings and area events
- Contact District Delegates about event headcounts and names from each school
- Make sure District Delegates are informed about district events and are informing Interact Presidents
- Proposes a variety of planned activities to DC at least a month prior to a district event/area event
- Plans and executes social activities at district events (e.g. ice breakers at the Winter Retreat)
- Secures all materials required
MANDATORY SUPPLEMENT: Come up with two unique games (i.e. no heads up seven up or games that were used at this year’s DC events). Make sure to explain the game so that the instructions are easily understood in the supplement box of your application.
- Establishes and MAINTAINS connections with/among the clubs, presidents, Rotary Clubs, and faculty advisors in their assigned areas
- Keeps DC (governors/lieutenant governors/district delegates) updated on the ongoing communication/events/complications/fundraisers/volunteer events of their designated area.
- Post updates on Facebook groups and present a concise area update on all school clubs [in designated area] at each DC meeting
- Organize at least 2 area events that include aspects of a social gathering, a service project, and a fundraiser toward our service project (one event per semester)
- Update “District Directory” frequently
- Host “Area Meetings” at least once a month, inviting presidents, officers, Rotarians, and faculty advisors to plan fundraisers, events, and bond!
- Area Updates: Provides the webmaster with a typed update at the 1st of each month
- In charge of handling all matters food related
- Includes bringing snacks for meetings and events
- Will be reimbursed for purchases
- In charge of buying raw materials needed for activities(construction paper, tape, etc)
- Serves as the district’s “design” specialist (for flyers, posters, shirts, etc)
- Takes photos during events
- Writes a blurb about the service project for district newsletters
- Publicizes the district goals and functions by means of video, posters, flyers, etc. [all materials must be accessible to all the clubs in the district]
- Responsible for the making and designing of an appealing flyer for every district function
- Acts as a photographer at all district functions (including meetings)
- Responsible for uploading pictures in a timely manner
- Responsible for the making of an Interact slideshow for the end of the year
- Must be equipped with camcorder and camera, as well as ample knowledge for editing videos and formatting pictures.
- Works with Webmaster
MANDATORY SUPPLEMENT: Attach a previous poster that you’ve made for an event or create a poster demonstrating a DC event. If you’re making a new poster, just assume that the event is conference and use random times/places/dates for details.
- Maintains DC directory and email lists
- Record detailed minutes at EACH DC meeting (take notes on what’s discussed)
- Type and send the minutes to the Webmaster promptly
- Works with District Delegates and Webmaster
- Creates and maintains a user-friendly Interact District 5160 website
- Is aware of all district events and is active in updating changes on the website
- Keeps an accessible calendar of district events on the website
- Uploads meeting minutes and event pictures in a timely manner
- Oversees technological operations at events (i.e. Interact Conference)
- Creates and maintains accessible databases on the website
- Creates web pages for other clubs who are in need
- Note: must have ample knowledge of web designing, as well as being tech/comp savvy
- Works with Publicist and Secretary
MANDATORY SUPPLEMENT: List technical experience you have (HTML, CSS, WordPress, graphic design, etc.)
- Attend Rotaract DC Meetings
- Attend Rotaract and YEX functions
- Responsible for planning/executing one joint project/event with Rotaract
- Keeps DC informed of YEX and Rotaract activities and vice versa
- Maintains strong relationships with Rotaract DC, especially the Rotaract District Governor and Lieutenant Governor
MANDATORY SUPPLEMENT: List three major Rotaract clubs in the District
- Develops and executes on strategic initiatives that help drive Interact 5160’s mission and vision
2018-2019 Council Members
About: Audrey Chong
Hello Interactors! My name is Audrey and I am honored to serve as one of your District Governors for the 2018-19 term! As a senior, this year will be my fourth year in Interact, and I cherish every moment of it. Interact has given me the love and opportunities to grow stronger and kinder, and I am so excited to give back to this lovely community! Some of my other passions include serving Dougherty Valley High School’s Interact as president, writing poetry, tutoring pre-school/elementary school children, and listening to k-indie music. I look forward to meeting everyone and making this year the best with District 5160!
About: Micol Zhai
Hi, I’m Micol Zhai and I have the honor of being one of your District Governors for this year. I am a junior at Dougherty Valley High School, and I have been a part of my school’s Interact club since freshman year. I look forward to being a part of a great team that is bringing Interactors all over Northern California together. One of my interests besides Interact is figure skating. I’ve been competitively skating for almost a decade and I spend a lot of my volunteer hours teaching children and people with disabilities how to skate. In the future, I would like to go into the field of law and public service and join Rotary. I eagerly await to see what this year has in store for District 5160!
About: Bonnie Chan
Hello! My name is Bonnie and I am a senior at Dougherty Valley High School. I am so excited to be one of your Lieutenant Governors this year! I’ve been involved with Interact since my freshman year. Besides being in Interact, I love to dance. I do tap, jazz, and ballet but my favorite style is tap. In school, my favorite subject is math but I also love computer science. I especially love web development. I look forward to a new year of District Council and Interact! I hope to serve you well this year!
About: Jannat Dhillon
Hello! My name is Jannat Dhillon and I will have the pleasure of being one of your Lieutenant Governors this year! I am a junior at Pleasant Valley High School and I have been in Interact since 9th grade. I am also currently on my school’s Interact Board of Directors. Through Interact, I found opportunities to improve on many different skills while gaining empathy for others and advocating for causes I care about. I consider Interact to be an important part of my life and I am truly grateful for this program. Besides serving the community through Interact, I am also on my school’s varsity tennis team and I enjoy reading and listening to music. I volunteer at various places including my local library and hospital. My plans for the future are to go to medical school and I hope to become a doctor someday. I am looking forward to being a part of District Council and making this year the best one yet!
About: Darcy Coulter
Hello! My name is Darcy Coulter and I am a senior at Fall River High School. I will be serving as this school year’s Interact 5160 District Ambassador for areas 1-5. Along with being highly involved in Interact, I am on the cross country, track and field, and swim team. I love participating in other activities including hiking, kayaking, SCUBA Diving, running, skiing, and cliff jumping with friends and family. My passion has always been around helping others and Interact has shown me possibilities beyond my imagination of how I can help and act as a resource beyond my local community. This will be my third year on Interact 5160 District Council and I am so excited to meet new Interactors that share the same passion as I. I look forward to seeing you at our events this year!
About: Evelyn Fong
Hello, my name is Evelyn. I’m currently a Senior at Middle College High School. I’m so excited to be your District Ambassador this year! I’ve been a proud Interactor for the past 3 years and District Council member for the past year, and I will continue to proudly serve our district throughout the rest of my high school career. I’ve also been given the opportunity to proudly serve as the MCHS Interact President this year! Aside from Interact, I am President of the MCHS Gamer’s Lounge and a tutor for Contra Costa College. I enjoy arts and crafts, photography, music, helping others, and meeting new people. I look forward to working with everyone and making this year a great year for Interact 5160!
About: Surya Rajan
Hello! My name is Surya Rajan and I am very excited to be your Youth Program Liaison this year! I am currently a junior at California High School in San Ramon. I have had an amazing experience as an active Interact member for the past two years, and I am passionate about helping others and giving back to the community. This year, I am one of the Project Coordinators for my school’s Interact Club. I also love to sort and distribute food at the Food Bank of Contra Costa and Solano and the Food Bank of Alameda County. Some of my hobbies are playing the piano, playing chess, and programming. I look forward to making this an amazing year for District 5160!
About: Jordan Deas
My name is Jordan Deas. I am in 12th grade at Chico High School. I have been swimming all my life and continue to swim now on both the Chico Aquajets and Chico High Swim Team. I love writing, reading classic books and volunteer work. I am President of my school’s Rotary club as well as being involved in many other clubs.
About: Quinn Danner-Bocks
I am 17 years old, going into my senior year of high school at University Preparatory School in Redding, California. During the school year I spend almost all of my time studying for various AP classes, doing club activities, especially in Outdoors Club, volunteering at the local hospital, and track & field. I constantly strive for self improvement and have an insatiable desire to succeed. My goals are to become a genetic engineer and always work to be a better me. I am very excited for my first year in District Council working as a District Delegate for areas 1, 2, and 3!
About: Angelina Vuong
Hello! My name is Angelina and I’m one of the District Delegates. I’m currently in my Junior year at Pinole Valley High. In my free time you may see me playing video games, cooking, singing, or reading. I tend to not cross boundaries but if I do please tell me. And if you ever need anything, don’t hesitate to ask.
About: Mariz-Isabella Bolano
Hello everyone! My name is Mariz and I will be an Area 4, 5, 6, & 7 delegate for the 2018-2019 school year. I’ve been involved in Interact since freshman year, went to Camp Royal, and now am excited to be a part of DC. I’m super into the performing arts, specifically singing, dance, and musical theatre. In regards to academics, my favorite classes I’ve ever taken in high school are AP US History and French because I love learning about language and culture. When I’m not on the go, I can be found writing music, watching anime movies, or enjoying boba at T4 or Tapioca Express. After completing my four years at Salesian College Preparatory, I hope to major in Kinesiology and become a pediatric physical therapist. Let’s make this a great interact year! 🙂
About: Sehaj Dhillon
Hello! My name is Sehaj Dhillon and I am a senior at Pleasant Valley High in Chico. This year, I will be co-district delegate for areas 4,5,6,7. During the school year, I play tennis, study for AP classes, and participate in other clubs such as Key Club and CSF. In my free time, I love to travel and have visited several countries. My goal for the future is to work in the medical field and constantly improve myself to become a better person. I look forward to a great year in Interact!
About: Ivy Lei
Hello! My name is Xiaojing Lei, but everyone calls me Ivy. I will be a senior at Ygnacio Valley High this year, and this will be my third year in Interact. Being in Interact has exposed me to so many opportunities and helped me become more social and active within my community and my school. Since I started participating more, I learned a lot about myself as well, like I enjoy urban exploration, going to local concerts, and taking night hikes! I am very excited to see what this year has in store.
About: Sage Bennett
Hello! my name is Sage Bennett and I am a Senior at Antioch High School in Antioch, California! I have been in Interact for three years now and are now currently a Co-President of my high school’s Interact club! Interact has given me the opportunity to have more of an impacting presence in my community and has shown me that once I set my heart on something, I can accomplish anything. Outside of Interact, I am involved with Student Government, Link Crew, and are also a Co-President of my school’s chapter of the California Scholarship Federation. Over the past three years I have taken various rigorous colleges-leveled courses at UC Berkeley regarding: Social Activism, Human Ideology, and Engineering. I also work part time as an Environmental Analysis for my Environmental Science internship Earth Team and help run a self-created Rotary sponsored organization called Support Our Youth (S.O.Y). In my free time, when I do have it ;), I love to write poetry, play piano, sing, and watch/ make YouTube videos! From the things I have done to the things I have yet to start, I currently hold aspirations in creating positive change in our World to help relieve the negative connotations that seemingly control our world at times. I am excited for this upcoming year and anyone has any questions, comments, concerns, or just wants to talk, don’t be afraid to contact me! 🙂 Have a good day! <3
About: Jocelyn Gao
My name is Jocelyn Gao, and I’m a junior at California High School in San Ramon, CA. Being a part of Interact has always been an incredibly important and rewarding part of my life ever since I joined in freshman year, as it has not only shown me the value of service but also how fun giving back to the community can be. In addition to Interact, I’m interested in social and political issues, which I’ve explored as a member of Model United Nations, and I am considering going into public policy in my future career. On the less academic side, I like to watch TV, travel, and try new foods around the Bay Area; I always love restaurant recommendations. I am super excited to serve as District Delegate this year!
About: Aayush Patel
Hello! My name is Aayush Patel and I am a Junior at Dougherty Valley HIgh School. I am proud to be a founding member of the San Ramon Valley Community Interact Club, serving as its Vice President this past year. Outside of Interact, I am active in Speech and Debate as a Lincoln-Douglas debater, and placed first in Frosh/Soph Triple Jump at EBAL championships last year. I love reading and being outside. I’m looking forward to putting my all into the upcoming year!
About: Thomas Files
Hi! My name is Thomas Files and I am a sophomore this year at California High School. This year I will be an activities coordinator and a spirit commissioner for District 5160! Additionally I’m serving California High School’s Interact Club as their publicist for 2018-19. I’m significantly involved in my school’s Model United Nations and CSF clubs in addition to Interact. On top of community service, I love to engage in thought provoking conversations regarding international conflicts and hot topics. One year of Interact has proven to be exciting and fulfilling and I can’t wait to make even more memories in the future!
About: Jalene Wong
Hi my name is Jalene Wong, and I am excited to be part of District Council this year! I am currently a junior at Dougherty Valley High School! I was co-publicist as a sophomore, and currently the co-vice president of my school Interact club! Cool activities I do are fencing and traditional Korean drum dance! This will be my first year participating in District Council and I’m excited to see what this year will bring!
About: Kimi Shirai
Hello, I’m Kimberly Shirai and I will be a Sophomore at California High School. The way I help the community is through Interact, CSF, and Girl Scouts! I’ve been a Girl Scout for 11 years and have earned my Bronze and Silver Award through various volunteer projects. I am also passionate about Model United Nations (MUN) where I debate world issues with people from across globe. After I graduate from high school, I hope to go into either law or international policy. I look forward to serving as your Secretary this year and meeting new people!
About: Senji Allegro
I am an incoming Senior at Will C. Wood High School. At school, I am currently involved with link crew, outdoors adventure club, service leadership, and serve as Marketer for our interact club. I’ve been involved with the school’s band/drumline and have played on the tennis team for two years. In my free time I like to graphic design, film, listen/play music, cruise around in my skateboard, and hang out with friends. I enjoy making connections with others and I am excited to keep doing that with Interact District Council this year! Also my favorite color is red.
About: Vivian Kuang
Hi! My name is Vivian Kuang and I’m a junior at Dougherty Valley High School! I’ve been a part of Interact since my freshman year and also serve as the secretary at my own school’s club. Outside of Interact, I like music, figure skating, and speech and debate. I’m super excited to serve on District Council this year and I can’t wait for the awesome things we will accomplish this year!
About: Riya Bindlish
Hi, my name is Riya Bindlish and I’m an administration officer and part of the succession team. I have been a part of Interact since I was in 8th grade, and have been the secretary and president of the Interact Club of San Ramon Valley. Outside of community service, a big passion of mine is journalism, and I write for both my blog as well as for the school newspaper. Other hobbies of mine include speech and debate, reading, hiking, and spending time with my friends. Currently, my future plans are to go into law and at least for sometime work for a newspaper. I am so excited to be a part of District Council, because I know with the amazing volunteers that we have, we will be able to change the world. 🙂